The Ghana Monitoring and Evaluation Forum (GMEF) is Ghana’s only, formal Voluntary Organization for Professional Evaluators (VOPE). As a VOPE, GMEF undertakes capacity building and advocacy on M&E through the organization of evaluation events such as conferences, workshops and forums. Established in 2008 to promote evidence-based policy making at all levels in Ghana, GMEF has grown to become a network of over 470 public-spirited individuals who seek to meet the need for improved M&E through the promotion of open dialogue around M&E issues. This is with a view to positively influencing the development opportunities of our time with new insights, perspectives and tools.
GMEF’s mission is to promote and enable the use of monitoring and evaluation in programme implementation and policy planning.
The Ghana Monitoring and Evaluation Forum
Evidence based decision making plays an increasingly critical role in shaping our society, the way it develops especially the way we use our limited resources. To help promote the development of a good Ghanaian Society, it will be useful to establish a National Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Network to promote the cause of evidenced based decision making.This is to be achieved by creating a network of public spirited individuals whom through open dialogue, can discuss M&E issues with a view to influencing the development opportunities of our time with new insights, new perspectives and new tools.
- Organize fora to present M&E papers for discussions
- Use discussions to share and promote good M&E practices in the country
- Provide networking opportunities
- Associate with other M&E Networks
Promote Evidence Based Decision Making
- Promote the benefits of evidence based decision making especially in public policy decision making
- Engage relevant stakeholders to provide M&E views in an unbiased manner
- Disseminate M&E information based on the outcomes of the fora using the internet
Support Continuing M&E Education
- Establish linkages with local and international M&E institutions/associations to provide continuing M&E education opportunities
- Share access to relevant local M&E information and access
- Organize capacity development sessions
- Where appropriate establish minimum standards of professional practice
- Policy Makers
- Public & Private Practitioners
- Research Institutions
- Public Institutions
- Development Agencies
- CSO’s & NGO’s
Objectives for the Network
The key objective is to establish a forum where M&E ideas can be shared between like minded people in an informed manner. The following are objectives for the network:
|Establish fora to share experiences||
|Provides support for continuing M&E education||
|Provide advocacy for M&E in Ghana||
As much as possible the activities of the network to achieve the objectives should be defined by the members to ensure the process is dynamic and member driven.
Network membership can be drawn from a number of sources including the following:
|Research/Planning Institutions||GSS, NDPC, ISSER, MOFEP, etc|
|Development Partners||UNICEF, UNDP, UNFPAWorld Bank|
Other Partners and collaborations with CLEAR Ghana, ACBF, Ernst and Young, STAR-Ghana and AfrEA